Honors Spain Program Summer 2017: Miami España: Ida y Vuelta
The history of the Spanish American translatlantic dialogue is both ruinous and enriching. With an emphasis on Miami, this course examines the social and cultural manifestations of this relationship. What impact has Spanish religion, art and popular tradition had on the Americas from 1492 to the present (ida)? Conversely, what has returned to Spain from Latin America (vuelta)? How specifically has this melange manifested itself in Miami, positioned as the contemporary center of European and Latin American relations?
Reflecting on the sacred (Catholicism, language, art) and the profane (futbol, tapas, paseo), students will develop unique cultural perspectives based on study and experience.
After a semester exploring the Spanish influence on the Americas in Miami, students will spend three weeks in Madrid, Sevilla, and Barcelona studying Spanish culture and searching for American manifestations in Spain. In addition the class will make day trips to Segovia, Toledo, El Escorial, and Montserrat.
- Summer C 2019
- On-campus: January to May 2019
- Abroad Summer C: June 7-28, 2019
Miami España: Ida y Vuelta
- On Campus: IDH 4007—Miami España: Ida y Vuelta (3 credits)
- Abroad: IDH 4008—Miami España: Ida y Vuelta (3 credits)
- 6 credits total
- The cost of $2,200 includes housing for the duration of the trip, local transportation, admission to required museums and monuments, group visits,some meals and international health insurance.
- The program fee does not include: airfare, meals, instructional fees for 6 credits (2018/2019 in-state tuition (205.57/undergrad credit)), the $350 non-refundable Honors College fee, the $175 non-refundable Study Abroad fee, and personal expenses.
- Students will stay in hotels / Bed and Breakfast during the trip in Spain.
For more Information:
Prof. John Bailly or Luli Szeinblum
Honors College, DM 233
email@example.com or luli. Szeinblum.@fiu.edu
T: 305 348-4100 \ E: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office of Study Abroad (OSA)